2014-06-04

The SciFi Convention

This might come as a surprise to some but I'm partial to a bit of science fiction. As a child I grew up reading Wells, Verne, Clarke, Christopher and the like, and lots of my TV watching was filled with science fiction too. And, really, nothing has changed. I don't really read much any more (blame the Internet for that -- something I really need to fix) but I still have my TV and film addictions. I'm an avid Firefly fan (no kidding, the weekend before last I watched Serenity while working in SL two nights in a row) and I'm currently in the middle of rewatching the reboot of Battlestar Galactica (the original being a big part of my childhood too).

So you can imagine that I've been nagging Mistress about dropping in on the Science Fiction Convention. Today we did, for an hour or so before she had to head for bed. I've got an album full of photos I took and what follows is a few highlights.


While Mistress likes plenty of science fiction too there's no question that it's more of a passion for me, so I think it was fascinating for her to hear me getting childishly excited about finding Vipers.


Lots of Vipers.


Vipers that I just didn't want to get out of (so Mistress ended up taking a seat and patiently waiting...).


To be fair, it wasn't all Vipers. I rather like the Raptor too...


Possibly my most favourite build in the whole convention is the recreation of a Battlestar C&C. The detail in it is incredible.


I was thinking that the call sign "Raven Actual" might be a good one, until I remembered who the commander actually would be...


After wandering for a while we stumbled on a fair, and Mistress just had to ride the sperm whale...


The lack of motion blur in a SL photo means that this really doesn't do the ride justice.

We also found a time tunnel house sort of thing which was.... disorienting.


Finally, after a ride on the train...


...it was time to head home as it was past Mistress' bedtime.


Just before she went it was decided that another item should be knocked off my allowance payment list. Looking at the options Mistress decided that being denied all forms of TP for 2 hours after being dropped on a region of her choice was the way to go. Given that I was going to be releasing products later in the day I got to wondering where I'd be stuck until I could work on that. Mistress disappeared again and then I got TPd after her...


...back to the convention. She'd decided that, after the last few "payments", I should make a point of having some fun, staying away from the shop and the workshop for a couple of hours and indulging one of my other passions.

Yeah, I am lucky. ;)

So, for the next couple of hours, I wandered around the rest of the convention.

I found a really cool model of Babylon 5 (which also dispenses a copy of itself!).


Sadly this was the only evidence of Firefly I could find.


I really expected something significantly Firefly-based on the region called Wheadon at the very least. If there was something I didn't find it.

I did find the Doctor's old car Bessie. I actually have a similar RL photo of myself with the RL version.


Eventually I made it to the exhibit built by my second favourite drow. So that called for a drink...


As luck would have it Miss Eve wasn't far away either so we both sat and had a natter for a bit and had a good helping booze. ;)


Later, after Miss Eve had headed off, I took the air taxi up to the Drow Science airship and had a good look at it...


Finally though my 2 hours were up and I needed to head back home to get on with things.

I'm immensely grateful to Mistress for what she did. There's no question that it was more of a reward than a punishment. I don't know what I did right, but I need to keep doing it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment