2012-04-26

New phishing scam doing the rounds?

Twice this week I've had a message sent to me from an object, while I'm offline. The message looks like this:

The object 'Object' has sent you a message from Second Life:
Hi Everyone! Receive 2000L just for signing up here --> http://bit.ly/[URL REMOVED]

 = Object is owned by [NAME REMOVED] Resident
 = http://slurl.com/secondlife/[REGION REMOVED]/45/119/3000

In both cases the object has been up at 3000m above a Linden Home that has public build turned on. Both times, when I've gone over there, there's been a day-old avi at the location, along with a prim or two (curiously devoid of any scripts -- which would suggest that whatever script was used to send out the message has been removed again).


I've not followed the URL but I'm guessing this is a variation on the phishing scams that seem pretty rife in Second Life at the moment.

Anyone else seeing this? While I've seen in-group phishing attempts plenty of times of late this is a new one on me. It's also a great illustration as to why you should never have public build turn on on your plots (unless you're a sandbox, or have a good auto-return, etc...).

No comments:

Post a Comment